Thursday, March 08, 2018

To the remarkable women in my life...

These women in my life exhibit a way 
To their remarkable womanhood
A way that has not an iota of respite
No excuse to fail
No path available to return
Perhaps no rewards of any sort
But only a unique blessing to be able to 'create'
And stand for and behind that creation until you breath your last

I wonder
How did they get the strength to go on
Or
How did they go on when they had no strength

When their life brought them unto their knees
How their hands rose... only in prayer
Never in demand or defeat

When their capabilities were belittled
Their opportunities were whisked away
Accomplishments were stolen
Merely because of their supposedly 'weaker' gender
But how their resolves remained unruffled and spirits untarnished

I wonder
How they can love so unconditionally
And expect nothing in return
For how they are grateful for what they have
Despite having owned bundles of troubles

How they embrace their life
When they can't remember how they looked a while ago
How easily they let go of what they dreamed of
And find their happiness in their loved ones' achievements

Oblivious to their tremendous contributions
They buried themselves deep in thankless duties
How they sought comfort in the exasperation itself
And found purposes to rise and shine everyday

I wonder if I would have inherited a pinch of their womanhood
To dare to step unto the path they have shown

Today my hands have risen in prayer
For receiving the grace of Mother Divine
Not for forgiveness but for forbearance
For now I know
What I want my daughter to wonder about me...

Amen!

 -- 
Pradnya Joshi-Bhagwat
Women's Day 2018